Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Power of Forgiveness

Being in the Middle East for a bit over 30 days I've witnessed the power of the sun, the wind and the sand.

At around 0530 am the Sun's powerful rays penetrate your skin.
At around 0830 am the Wind's powerful blows pushes one forward & backward.
At around 1130 am the Sand's powerful grains blind you.

God's forces of nature are really something to marvel!

But I have witnessed another one of God's Forces that is way more powerful than his natural ones: The Power of Forgiveness.

Not too long ago a young solider came to visit me with concerns of distrust for his Non Commissioned Officer (NCO).  The young Private First Class (PFC) shared that he has a very strong value for the NCO creed and expects that his NCO take care of his soldiers before himself.  He also shared he has extremely hurt and angry. 

I could feel his pain, hurt and anger.

After he shared his story, his experience and current feelings towards his NCO, I simply asked, "have you forgiven him?”

The PFC looked down and replied in a very low voice; "No"!
Then he went on to confess; "I know God wants me to forgive him and my relationship with God can’t be right until I forgive this man.”

We shared a bit more then he asked for prayer and we concluded our time together with a promise to talk the next day.

Our time together brought two realities about God to my mind.

First; it is God’s character to forgive.  When the young man looked down I experienced Psalm 51:17a; “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart” and when he confessed that his relationship with God was hampered because of unforgiveness I thought about Jesus’ words in Matthew 6:14 when he remarked; “For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."

When we connected the next day it was like I was speaking with a man who experienced God’s presence for the first time in a long time.

He shared with me his confession to God of being unforgiving and he explained how God took the pain away from his heart and how he has now forgiven his NCO.

I’ve seen a lot of powerful forces here but they all fail in comparison to the power of forgiveness in this young man’s life.

God's powerful force of forgiveness penetrated more than the sun, the wind and the sand could ever pierce, God infiltrated 
his heart.

Is there anyone that you need to forgive? 

Confess, ask God to heal your hurt and experience Him anew today!

Chaplain Brito




No comments:

Post a Comment